Foundations for Mastery of Fractions in Key Stage 1
Many teachers and teaching assistants were taught in an era where fractions were almost always dealt with in abstract terms. The CPA Approach (Concrete, Pictorial and Abstract) encourages us to help children master fractions by utilising concrete resources and pictorial representations. When this is undertaken, much of the mystery surrounding fractions disappears and children can grasp, understand and enjoy working and reasoning with fractions.
Dave has co-written the Sense of Number Visual Fractions Policy for schools, the use of which is exemplified throughout these training sessions. This course aims to provide a practical approach to helping children understand and master working with fractions.
· To develop delegates personal understanding of fractions.
· To appreciate the complexities inherently found in the teaching of fractions in KS1, including rich links to other mathematical domains such as Number and Division.
· The importance of using correct mathematical vocabulary and providing children with accurate definitions, backed up by visual representations, in order to alleviate misconceptions.
· To understand the importance of teaching fractions practically, and with care, to ensure children can tackle more tricky concepts with confidence when they move into KS2.
· To demonstrate creative, visual, tactile and engaging activities that help children understand, have fun with, manipulate and calculate with fractions.