Mastering Multiplication and Division in Reception and Key Stage 1
In this session, Dave shares his passing for deep understanding of calculation. Dave has been exploring calculation as part of his doctoral studies. He is the co-author and creator of the Sense of Number Visual Calculation Policy, which encapsulates the depth of understanding found in this session and helps to establish a consistent approach to the teaching of calculation across school.
This course explores 5 Aspects of Teaching Multiplication and Division in Reception and Key Stage 1
1. Using Appropriate Concrete Resources and Pictorial Representations
2. The importance of Story and Applying × & ÷ to Everyday Life
3. Progressing from physical resources to jottings to formal procedures
4. Developing deep understanding of the Operations
5. Laying the Foundations for Mental Strategies