Mastering Multiplication and Division in Years 3, 4 and 5
In this session, Dave shares his passing for deep understanding of calculation. Dave has been exploring calculation as part of his doctoral studies. He is the co-author and creator of the Sense of Number Visual Calculation Policy, which encapsulates the depth of understanding found in this session and helps to establish a consistent approach to the teaching of calculation across school.
This course explores 5 Key Aspects of Teaching Multiplication and Division in Key Stage 2
1. The Continued use of Concrete Resources and Pictorial Representations
2. The Importance of Story and Applying × & ÷ to Everyday Life
3. Ensuring Deep Understanding of Formal Procedures
4. The Development of Mental Strategies with Understanding
5. Basic Multiplication and Division with Fractions