Number & Place Value Part 1: Developing Sense of Number in Key Stage 1
Number and Place Value is the first domain in the National Curriculum and the first area of study within each academic year. Children’s ability to calculate fluently using a range of mental strategies, jottings and formal strategies, all depends on a deep grasp of number itself.
In this two-part series, Dave will explore how to help children develop a deep sense of number and provide delegates with a host of ideas and tools to help children play with, manipulate and explore number with confidence and understanding.
This course provides a practical approach to helping children develop a deep sense of number.
· To explore the foundations for developing number sense in Key Stage 1
· To highlight the importance of using a range of manipulatives and images to help children develop a solid understanding of abstract numerals, including the importance of arrangements
· To highlight a range of ideas to help children count in different multiples (1, 2, 3, 5 & 10) with confidence and understanding, using key models and images that highlight the patterns in our number system (e.g. odd and even)
· To explore ideas for helping children confidently explore the concepts of more and less, including 1 more or 10 more than any number
· To equip delegates to help children develop their understanding of place value with two-digit numbers and read 3-digit numbers with confidence