Helping Children Remember Key Number Facts in Upper Key Stage 2 (including Tables, Squares, Cubes, Primes, Multiples, Factors & FDP Equivalences)
For children to develop mastery of number, they need conceptual, procedural and factual knowledge and understanding. These training sessions explore ideas for helping children to develop their knowledge of number facts. In the digital era, we are remembering less and less (how many phone numbers can you remember?). Yet, in mathematics it is vital that children know their bonds and table facts in order to calculate fluently. Dave has taught across the primary age-range. His most recent class of Year 4 children became known across school as, ‘the class that know their tables.’ In these sessions, Dave shares his experiences and helps teachers and teaching assistants with strategies and ideas to help their children learn key number facts.
A practical approach to help children master the learning of Key Number Facts based on both theory and experience.
· To identify the foundation blocks that enable children to learn number facts with confidence and understanding.
· To explore and evaluate a host of effective, fun-filled, interactive, motivational & enjoyable ideas to help children learn key number facts, including Dave’s Number Fun song videos.
· To exemplify how, undertaken with care, speed testing can act as a key motivational tool for tables practice.
· To identify key resources that support the learning of Table Facts, Squares, Cubes, Primes, Multiples, Factors & FDP Equivalences
· To examine ways to help children apply and consolidate their table knowledge through reasoning, games and calculation strategies.